The Guild was formed in 1974 by a group of residents in Decatur, Illinois, to provide financial support and service to the Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra and to provide educational opportunities for young students and adults and to provide scholarships for musical opportunities for students.
Each year the Symphony Orchestra Guild of Decatur [SOGD] provides a grant to the Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra [MDSO] to help augment the financial budget provided by Millikin University. This additional source of funding helps with the musicians’ expenses, music rental, and helping with expenses for guest performers.
What Does the Symphony Orchestra Guild Do?
- Sponsors the Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra
- Provides Symphony Orchestra Guild Scholarships
- Provides Guild Mentor Program
- Provides Live Performances in Schools
- Promotes the Instrument Library
- Organizes the Instrumental Petting Zoos
- Sponsors the Decatur Youth Symphony Orchestra
- For more, click on Education
Purpose of the Symphony Orchestra Guild of Decatur
The Guild purpose is to:
- Promote and provide support for the Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra.
- Provide educational opportunities for young people and adults.
- Provide scholarships for musical opportunities for students.