Live Performances in Schools
The Symphony Orchestra Guild funds “live” performances by outstanding professional ensembles throughout the year for area schools.
Such performances have included:
- The Millikin Brass and Woodwind Quintets
- The Millikin Flute Ensemble
- The Millikin Percussion Ensemble
- The University of Illinois Gamelan Ensemble
- The University of Illinois African Drumming Ensemble
- Harpists Nina Marshall and Julia Jamieson
- The ISU Sonneries Woodwind Ensemble
- Jim Walker (clarinet) & Karen Neece (piano)
- The Dixie Daredevils
- The Downstate Strings
- The Symphony Orchestra Guild Trio
- The Decatur Youth Symphony Student Chamber Ensembles
Students are not only exposed to the sight and sounds of the different ensemble instruments but they hear different types of music repertoire. To schedule a performance contact:
Performance Chair, Symphony Orchestra Guild of Decatur
Decatur Youth Symphony PASS Concert for Third Graders
Each year the Symphony Guild of Decatur funds bus transportation to allow all of District 61 third and fourth graders to attend a performance with a wide variety of performers, during a Performing Arts Student Series (PASS) concert at Kirkland Fine Arts Center. The Decatur Area Arts Council provides free tickets to the event. Third and fourth graders are acquainted with the various orchestral instruments both in sight and sound, and they are encouraged to study an instrument in school when they reach the 4th (strings) and 5th (band) grade levels.
April 9, 2019 is a collaboration between DYSO and the Decatur Park District Perform presenting Beauty and the Beast.
February 27, 2020 will be a special program from Classical Kids Live! called Beethoven Lives Upstairs, celebrating Beethoven’s 250th birthday.